Old 07-02-19, 09:55 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
U.S. 9 through the Poughkeepsie area is ghastly. So much so that ACA changed its Atlantic Coast route to use 9G. BTW...Stay off the Wallkill Trail south of New Paltz. Boring, and the southern end can be a mud puddle. Had to get off and walk last year.
I looked at Google Street View for US 9 thru Poughkeepsie & yes, fast/busy with narrow shoulder. In fact, I'm looking at Street View on other more rural sections of US 9/BR 9...looks like narrow shoulder much if not all the way plus 55 mph in many parts...not so much of a fun ride really. Now I'm realizing why BR 9 isn't so popular for biking. I mean, it's not terrible but I'm guessing NY State designated Rt 9 as a cycle route more or less out of bureaucratic laziness.

I'm sure one could design a nice cycling route for Hudson region that hits some good historical & scenic areas while mostly staying on quieter roads & trails...only problem is I think that would mean a lot of zig-zagging, thus not the tidy 3 or 4 day tour festooned with majestic river views I had envisioned. Oh well, I appreciate everyone's input...looks like the good ole' GAP for the July tour!