Old 06-16-13, 07:23 AM
Tel0004

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shopping for road bikes when stores have limited inventory really sucks.

Yesterday I went out shopping for road bikes. I think the choices I've narrowed it down to are the Trek Domane 2.0, Cannondale Synapse 5/6.

I started off the day at the Trek Store, and in the Domane all they had in stock was a 4.5 58 cm. So I took it for a test ride, and I think the sizing is pretty good, but how it rode is irrelevant (FYI, great, but with full carbon and ultegra, I would expect it to). They didn't have any 60cm domane in stock to test ride, but my though was that 60cm might be too big

I then went to the cannondale dealer and they had a 61 cm in stock ready to ride. I was happy I could at least test ride a bike I might buy (although I found the silver ugly, so I would have had them order me one in white). I didn't mind the bike, but I found the reach about 2 inches too long. I think this is partally because I have a bit of a gut, and want to have a more upright riding position. The top tube on the 61 was also a bit too tall. I could stand flat footed but barely. The dealer said he could flip the stem, to bring the height up a small bit, but he thought a 58 would be a better choice, but of course they didn't have one ready to go, it was in the box. They are going to build it, and give me a call, so I'm hoping I can ride in this week. I also called another trek dealer, and they have a domane 2.3 in stock in 58, so I think I can try to see how a aluminum frame trek feels, but I'll still be using 105, and not tiegra.

It just feels like there are so many choices, and its tough when I really can not compare the exact 2 bikes due to limited inventory. When I bought my trek 7.2, I think I got it one size to small, and its a bit apparent once I hit about 30 miles. It will still make a fine winter/short trips bike, but I am just a bit afraid of getting the wrong size on a road bike.