Old 02-23-17, 02:27 AM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The triangular cut out flanges are the Asian hubs and the kidney shaped ones could be either.
The 1970s Japanese made Schwinn Approved hubs with triangular cutouts were only available in non-quick-release versions with solid axles and as such are not relevant to the OPs question. The 1960s through 1970s Normandy made Sprint or Schwinn Approved quick-release (hollow axle) hubs were available in both triangular and kidney bean cutout styles. The former were used on the Continental, Sprint and Super Sport while the latter were branded Schwinn Approved Deluxe and used on the Sports Tourer and Superior. Both used the exact same axles, cones and all other parts, they differed only in the external shell.

Unfortunately I am not aware of any aftermarket replacement cones that match, and since NOS axle sets or cones seem to be non-existent the only other source I know of would be a donor hub. Fortunately there are probably a few hundred thousand old Chicago-built Continentals out there to source them from.

That being said there is a suggested rear replacement cone in the detailed and informative post by @verktyg in the topic here, but I have not tested it and have no idea if it will work: http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post18310458