Old 02-20-20, 04:31 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Thanks for the word of warning. In *theory* rackmounts on a carbon bike could be quite sturdy. Do you have a sense of whether your situation was unusual? And have you heard about this happening on other carbon bikes with racks (more-so than any other bike -- aluminum or steel - with rack mounting points would suffer from this problem)? Clearly there are lots of carbon bikes being designed to take racks. Here's a list of 50 such models (dated from 2018) on the web: https://www.cyclingabout.com/carbon-touring-bikes/
No, I don't have a sense of anything about racks/carbon bikes. I was surprised that the small threaded bushings glued into the seat stays were only 5mm long, but the bike was only rated for "light touring", after all. Still, the front end shimmy was very disconcerting, which is why my next bike was a 29plus rigid, fully capable bikepacking bike. But it sucks on pavement, leaving me looking for one more that can do both. Maybe the Cutthroat?
edit: I successfully rode a tour with the same bike, bikepacking bags and an ExtraWheel trailer, and it handled just fine with the trailer carrying the heavier stuff, food and water.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 02-20-20 at 04:50 PM.