Old 06-12-20, 03:26 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Interesting...

Technically, it is an algebraic equation. Both sides of the = sign needing to have the same value.

However, if programming, you could write a code that says add one to the number inputted ie. n = n+1. A common Excel cell equation.
Well, technically, your excel command would be creating a new value (in a new cell) which is equal to another cell's value +1.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
and you see some problem with this?
Just because some long dead guy decided that n = n + 1 doesn't work in his version of math doesn't mean we can't invent a different kind of math where it is allowed. Call it, "bicycle math"
Without a logical explanation and practical application, yes, I do see a problem with violating a common mathematical principle.

Originally Posted by Marylander
Right, there are various ways to end a loop and various types of loops (do:while, set a max for n, etc). This is also why testing is important to avoid putting infinite loops into production.

To be more on topic my new bike (not a spare), built on a Black Mountain Cycles Road Frame has been sitting idle for a couple months waiting for parts. While it looks purty in the stand I would rather be riding it.

This also brings up the question of "how much bike storage space do you need?" I can confirm that a 1 car garage is too small.
I figured some kind of limit would be built into it. Otherwise a simple n = n+1 would not be very useful, would it? (genuine question.)

As far as your garage problem is concerned: a one-car garage might be okay if your number of autos were n = n-1