styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
Tipsy build thread - hot summer Monark 90320 Super Continental

I have had my fair share of Crescent 92320 and Monark 90320 thru the years. They are somewhat of a staple vintage race bike over here in Sweden. I believe this is my 19: th...

Before getting this frame I have not had one in the collection for many years. I could not resist it when it came up for sale for a song at a local bike site. The pictures showed a untouched 90320 frame in splendid condition. Missing a rivet for the Monark headbadge and it had only a Campagnolo headset forkrace mounted. I checked my inventory and realized I had all the parts needed and nothing better to put them on for now.

Got it home and gave it a good rub and wax treatment. The paint and decals are very nice! I will not even touch up the small paint chips there are. My experience with these bikes tells me this one was made when the builder had a somewhat good day. It is better than 95% of the ones I have had and seen. This still puts it at the bottom in build finish when compared to the rest of my collection. Telling it like it is - will not make me popular among my fellow countrymen... A competent race bike but no Mona Lisa.

I put this frame as an early 70ies based (losely) on its serial, and set of decals. And I will build it as such.

It will be a nice complement to my Masi "Monark" Ferretti team bike - sort of a brother from another mother (and father)... ;-)

Rub and wax

Luckily I had an extra rivet for the headbadge

Cleaned up mostly NOS headset parts (English thread) and a NOS BB (thick rifled cup, French thread, 120 axle).

Long version

Parts put on - together with a wheelset that is going on another bike - but they look the same as the ones for this build.

NOS Mafac Racer, NOS Record seatpost, a very good condition Idealé 90 and an OK Silca with Campagnolo head

Will see what happens tomorrow. It is hot over here. Lot of Pims and mint juleps under the apple tree...

Last edited by styggno1; 01-07-22 at 12:15 PM.