Old 06-27-19, 11:15 PM
Hasselhof

Bikes: Merida Espresso 600 EQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Congrats - a free trailer is a good score! We will of course want to see pictures of the trailer once you have it set up
And here we go

This is the trailer after I've spent a bit of time inspecting it and cleaning it up. There is still a lot of cleaning and a bit of maintenance on the wheels but it should be very usable by the end of the weekend. I've removed all of the interior webbing seats, harnesses and pockets, cleaned out the drain holes and removed part of the roof. I'd have liked to keep the roof section to provide some weatherproofing, however rain won't be a common problem where I live, and the hook and loop that held it closed was very very worn and needed replacement. I also had to use my angle grinder to cut off an old bike lock that was wrapped around in some awkward places.

The connection arm is in surprisingly good condition and attached to the hitch I already had on the bike which is great. Unfortunately the safety strap isn't long enough to reach around the chainstay, but the overall condition of the trailer was such that I wouldn't have been putting the kids in it anyway, and if it were to come off a couple of broken eggs and bruised fruit is an acceptable loss.

I also had a spare plastic utility box which fits into the trailer really well. Inside it I'll just keep some rope for tie-downs, a tarpaulin and the jockey wheel that goes on the front of the trailer. I figure at a shopping mall or market I could disconnect the trailer, add the jockey wheel and wheel the trailer around while I do my shopping, loading it directly into the trailer. That way I only need to reattach it to the bike in order to get home rather than do lots of double loading. I'm also still considering cutting down a a sheet of thin plywood to insert as a base to disperse the floor loading around the entire base of the trailer.

A little more cleaning out to do, however I'm pretty happy with it all I must admit
Likes For Hasselhof: