Old 04-04-21, 07:19 PM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
I recently converted my '97 Ibis Mojo from flat bars to dirt drops. I'm not sure if it qualifies as Vintage or drop bar, but I hope it's close enough for inclusion.

1997 Ibis Mojo made with Tange Prestige/Ibis Moron tubing "More on" the ends, Big Butts
Fork is a Kelly mtb fork
Components are mostly 8-speed series XTR, Road brake/shifter levers are Microshift pulling thru travel Agent converters to v-brake arms.
Handlebars are On-One Midge bars with a VO Cigne stem

This was my turn of the century alternate to my full suspension ride. It had a suspension front fork and I did a bit of racing on it. Partly due to the tires and partly to the bars I am faster on semi-techy downhill than on my 29" gravel bikes.

It appears a bit silly to me now with the bars so high, but riding it, I get it having the drop position at least level with the saddle. Very comfy riding along with hands in the drops. One issue I have with the Microshift levers mounted to the angled Midge bars is that it is easy to accidentally hit the upper release shifting paddle when riding on the hoods, the paddle sits proud of the lever surface. If the levers are mounted vertically I can see it being lees of an issue. I'll have to make a habit of keeping my hands clear of there.

I prefer riding to the trailheads from home so will look into some more pavement friendly tire options, possibly looking at a conversion up to 650b wheels. There is enough adjustment freedom in the brake pad slots to accommodate. For now its fun to tackle some of the rougher trails with the fatter tires. It's also my lowest geared bike with a 1.4 gain ratio.

Likes For 73StellaSX76: