Old 01-02-19, 10:26 AM
ChrisRob01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricovonsuave
Happy New year. I hope you're out training too, and not just posting in the forum?

Yeah, like everyone above said, don't stress about the exact bike - pick one you like, that fits, with track geometry designed for use on real velodromes, with a good frame and decent-quality parts (144 BCD cranks as others mentioned so they're compatible with track chainrings as you build up a small set of them, and decent training wheels and tyres you don't have to immediately upgrade). You can always buy new toys later once you get into the sport more.. Modern track bikes will all be aluminium or carbon, but I rode my old custom steel frame pretty fast for a couple of seasons after my 'big comeback'... the motor (and a lot of practice) matters most.

So we can't really tell you what ££ you should spend, but track bikes certainly don't need to be expensive to be competitive.

The Dolans are really good bikes with a good spec of proper track parts, at a good price point. If you're buying new, the Pre Cursa Track ought do you nicely for many seasons, or until you decide to upgrade. [NB - the carbon Dolan DF4 is basically the production version of the old TeamGB bikes, and the narrow Alpina bars are still used by many sprinters at the top level, so they do have a good track record in track... ]

In the UK for new bikes, and without spending stupid money, the Dolans come top of mind as a longtime track brand, as well as the Planet X Pro Carbon. These are both good bikes and good value and would serve you well for seasons. Other good options might be the aluminium (or carbon) Fuji track bikes, the aluminium Cervelo or Look track bikes, the Merida Reacto, etc if you can get them at the right price/size.

But no bike will make you any faster until you get out there and ride it...
Lol yes training 5 days a week, loving it but the long rides and base needs some work 😊

Thanks again, very grateful for your time 👍