View Single Post
Old 03-06-19, 07:35 PM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
I live on my bike. This is my third winter in the desert of southern CA and AZ (which is part of the Sonoran). Hear the coyotes frequently in my sleeping bag, but they've never disturbed me. If I'm here when the temps are high, I start worrying about Rattlers and scorpions, tho have never seen them and the locals always say they've never seen a rattler. The other night after going to bed (I don't use a tent), I did start to get worried about bobcats as I had been told the day before they're in the area. Didn't sleep well that nite.
Thanks for sharing that. Interesting lifestyle. I would like to hear more about your adventures.

​​​​​I've camped more in forested areas up north. But I don't like the winters there. The Sonoran desert has its beauties, and it's kind of growing on me. I've never tried it during the hottest months, and I'm not sure I want to, but the rest is fine.

I've heard of bobcat problems, but I think they are very rare. Do you carry anything for self defense? I went through a lot of options and settled on bear spray (UDAP brand), and I've been happy with it.

I have almost stepped on a rattlesnake. I was looking out at the view, and he or she was right in my path. Glad it had some rattles left. They seem to come out more as it warms up, and are less nocturnal in milder weather, more nocturnal when it's really hot.

I've been charged by a javelina, but it just seemed startled and confused. I've seen them wandering and foraging in groups. Also saw some bighorn sheep that seemed curious about me. Various lizards. Will be watching for the desert iguanas in the creosote bushes as it gets warmer. Ravens, turkey vultures, eagles, free range cattle, hummingbird moths, hummingbirds, kangaroo rats, chipmunk-like ground squirrels, scorpions, a large unknown lizard, jackrabbits, cottontails, coyotes, tarantula hawks, and others.... It's a pretty interesting environment.

Do you have anything like a blog, or more about your travels and adventures?