Old 07-06-20, 05:02 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I was doing some laps at the velodrome. One of my 15 minute intervals was 20mph on the nose. The average watts were 198 measured on an SRM Origin. I weigh 225lbs. I wonder if a fix gear is more efficient than a road bike when used on a velodrome?
I don't think so. The RD pulleys are not that significant, the rest is pretty close on a modern aero bike. Obviously the surface and tires can be lighter. I don't know how aero your wheels were, but yea, as I posted 265W should get you better than 19.8. OP said he had stops, but that should be reflected in average power and speed. Maybe the power came from the stationary trainer.

I've seen many improvements from position. More power is great too, but position tends to be low hanging fruit until it starts robing power. Even then, I'd venture to guess that our best ITT guys may not be doing the same power they would be doing in a more upright position. It is all a compromise which makes it more interesting. If your goal is going faster, it is likely you may not be doing the power you would if your goal was to do the most power. And if your goal is winning races (which is the wrong forum, and their aren't any) it may be neither of those.