stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
I'm in Western Oregon, east foothills of the coast range west of Salem.
Aha, that's roughly where I saw a cougar, several years ago now. 🙂 I was riding North, from California to Washington, and taking a lunch break, in a little clearing in the woods. I felt like someone (?) was watching me, but didn't see anyone, lol. After a few minutes, I finally saw what must have been a youngish cougar, sneaking along close to the ground, kinda crouch-walking, and moving towards me. I didn't actually recognize it yet, and said to myself, "What the heck am I looking at?". About the time I said heck, he or she turned around and ran, REALLY fast. 😁

That's why I figured it was a young one, it was more play-hunting, than serious about getting me.

I'm not sure at all now, what I heard the other night, but I heard it again last night. I think. The night before last, I heard a really low growl, like a cat purring, but lower & louder. Last night, it was several garbage cans getting knocked over. That sounds more like black bears, which is actually more likely. 🤔

When I did a search earlier, I saw that black bears have been coming into Phoenix itself, in the last few years, as a result of the ongoing drought here. So that's my best guess, until I actually see some critter. 🤔

BTW, I'm currently in Chandler, one of the Southern neighborhoods of Phoenix, and this all happened in Tumbleweed Park, away from the business & residential areas a bit. So it could be either, or even both. 😲😉