View Single Post
Old 11-29-19, 07:24 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
520 w/panniers or Domane with Trailer?

Okay,

Got a question for you seasoned tourers. Weighed my gear and bikes for a choice between a heavier touring bike w/ panniers and a lighter endurance bike with a trailer. Heard all the stories about going up hill with a trailer, so I wanted to see what the difference was (without my gear, but just the bike and the set up for touring). When it all was measured, the bike with the trailer was a lighter set up than the Trek 520. Granted, the tires on the 520 are 38c's and the Domane is sporting 25c tires - both 700. Both set of tires are puncture resistant tires.

I still cannot help but think - if you are going up hill, weight is weight, no matter if it is directly underneath you or spread out. And, if most of the weight for touring is low to the ground, behind you and a little more aerodynamic, makes since that the peddling would be easier. Not to mention, reducing the risk of broken spokes.

Gearing on the 520 has a triple crank and a low 16 gear inches on the granny, whereas the Domane has a 29 GI low on a double crank. Any opinions?