View Single Post
Old 11-30-19, 03:54 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by debade
I coincidentally own a Domane and 520. I have done a lot of touring on the 520. None on the Domane. So, take my comment for what it is worth.

I understand your question but in comparing the two bikes for a tour, I would include your position in the saddle and its impact on comfort. I have never ridden my Domane on a tour nor even loaded with packs or a trailer. And, I have not ridden it day after day for the length of a tour. So, I can't make a real comparison except by extrapolation. But my sense is the 520 would make for a better vacation.

You will be in the saddle for a long time, day after day. I would suggest you add the 'comfort' analysis to the criteria for your final decision.
just for clarification, I will be taking the same gear on either bike. I hike also and have my base weight down to 12 lbs without food and water (including my pack).

The Domane has a SA leather saddle and the 520 a Brooks saddle. I ride th Domane on any long ride such as a Rando ride or metric century. The Domane is my favorite daily ride. Took the Domane out for a 40 mile ride with the trailer loaded with a couple of small climbs (we don’t have a lot of hills here in Eastern Va). Even going up, I did not have to drop down into the lowest gear.