View Single Post
Old 09-27-19, 06:36 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 723 Posts
Machining replacement dust caps for '50s-era Brampton pedals requires 15 steps. And they're always missing the dust caps. Step number 15 is the only step that's not in the lathe, which is to put the slot in them so you can unscrew them with a ...really big screwdriver?

Anyway, making each one takes about two hours because of the finicky internal threading. It's 10:30pm, I'm 3 hours in, and using a mill with a slitting saw to slowly cut the slot on the second of two, so moving a bit faster than on the first one, and *TINK* the dust cap pops out of the collet-holder and goes flying across the room. It's completely destroyed. There goes 1.5 hours I can never get back!! The next one I did with a hand file. I guess I went too fast.