Old 01-21-19, 02:40 PM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rpavich
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I'm searching for a beach cruiser for myself and my wife and we have run into a little problem. Both of us are a bit overweight and carry our weight in the front (think belly.)

We shopped beach cruisers at Wal Mart and found that the one issue we had was that the handlebars were too close to our bodies; it made turning difficult. It appeared that raising up the gooseneck and rotating the handle bars forward might help but I was wondering if there is some brand/model that would be better for our body type?

I was shopping at beachbikes.net and some looked more cramped that other but I didn't want to just guess at it and have to return bike after bike.

Are there stems that are adjustable / longer so that the handlebars move significantly forward?

I can't be the only person who's come across this issue, I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Two ways to go here. Swapping out a stem with a longer reach & angle will position & move the handlebars forward. If you still need more distance you can always switch to a threadless stem & then use a BMX style stem. Also swapping out the seat post for a "lay back" seat post will also move you further back 1-2".

Never mind the drink/wine cup!