Old 03-21-19, 11:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
What may annoy you when commuting?

The OP posted such an open-ended question, that my best answer was nothing that would make me want to give up cycling, or too trite to enumerate, even after being hit by a car from behind.

However, I have posted to several threads, though not as heatedly as @mjac :
Originally Posted by mjac

Anytime you ride in the street and do not get killed, it is a plus. I do not recommend it. If you can't commute using dedicated Bike Paths don't do it. It is not worth it.

It only takes one Jackass and you are going to lose the battle with a 21/2 Ton Automobile. Stick to Bike Paths and Parks and ride safely and happily. The number of Ghost Funerals in this City alone is unbelievable. Their ain't nothing Romantic about it. You are Hurt or you are Dead and a Statistic that everyone will forget about.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’
Originally Posted by mjac
land your point is...

I did not mean to sound heated. I merely wanted to introduce some reality into the situation. These Ghost Bike Funerals are happening all the time around here. Each one of these represents a dead cicylist.

Recently two cicylist were killed at the same time by a drunk driver. That is reality. Nobody seems to want to acknowledge that. You either find a solution to this,whatever your personal solution is or tempt the same fate. I do not want to see this happen to anyone and it is happening too often.

suffer the consequences.
Thanks for your reply. When I was composing my reply to your post, I tried to judge the “tenor” of your post,and choose the appropriate description. My first choice was “vehement,” but that seemed too strident.

Even now, I can’t think of another synonym, though perhaps “morbid” comes to mind.
Nonetheless, I was acknowledging the gavity of your concerns.

The point of my reply was that I recognize the dangers of cycling, and anyone interested should be aware, and choose it of their own volition. If that’s the case, I certainly would advise as much as warranted from my extensive experience.
Originally Posted by chefisaac
LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!
It seemed to me, that your post actively discouraged road cycling. FYA, IMO this was a pretty good thread (of many) on the subject “Commute by bike? But that's dangerous!.”
Originally Posted by noglider
Everyone knows that cycling is dangerous. Except that everyone who knows this is wrong. Traveling by bike is one of the safest ways to commute, safer than driving a car.

​​​​​​​Cycle, walk, drive or train? Weighing up the healthiest (and safest) ways to get around the city

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-21-19 at 11:26 AM.