Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Dealing with Medical Situations

After a serious reply to this thread, I made a tongue-in-cheek one:
Originally Posted by Machka
You're going to use a stretcher to go to work, do your shopping, and take care of errands?What about when you can't walk? Or cycle or drive?

How do you go about your daily life? How do you get to your follow up medical appointments?
Originally Posted by Machka

Like let's say you broke a hip or leg or badly burned a foot or something.

What resources does your area provide for those sorts of circumstances?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Stretcher would be for emergencies [for transport to an ambulance]. Otherwise as I described[link]:...

For a further comprehensive list, I could get the servants to bear me on a sedan chair or a rickshaw...Now that's car-free...
This evening I read on this thread, "A vision of transportation of the future - vintage 1952":

Originally Posted by jefnvk
TO be fair, that isn't too incredibly different from the pedal-cabs that are popping up in cities...
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Looks like a pedi-cab. I see them all over the place.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Taxi!
Here in Boston, pedicabs appear pretty much only in baseball season, though in New York City they were prevalent on a visit around 2006, though I don’t know if they can be called for like a taxi.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When we visited central Manhattan several years ago during the summer, I was astounded at the number of pedicabs seemingly all over, day and night. We even rode from and back to our Hotel to the Rainbow Room in black tie evening attire.

Here in Boston, the only ones I see in any number are on Red Sox baseball game days in a relatively small area of the Back Bay extending about two miles at most from Fenway Park.

We live near Fenway, and often walk through the Back Bay. The pedicab fare (via tips) is at least about $15, while a taxi would be about $8 with tip. However the pedicab can negotiate the traffic more easily.
Originally Posted by noglider
Pedicabs don't seem that practical to me. I think the fee is at least $1 per minute. I think only tourists ride them….
PS: Pedicabs are a lot easier to enter and exit than taxicabs, especially in the compact cabs in Boston; one of the few comparative advantages of NYC, with spacious Yellow cabs.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-07-19 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Added PS