View Single Post
Old 02-07-19, 09:47 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
It's also an interesting question surrounding the idea of community. I'm not a church goer but know quite a few locally and part of the attraction is the sense of collective concern they have for their congregation. They are always checking up on people in need and providing meals, rides etc... If we look past churches there are also service or social groups that many people belong to (Lions, Rotary, Legions etc...) where social friendships and connections are made and relied upon in times of need. Or even the old concept of neighborhoods or small town concern for each other.

One strange thing for me, in regards to car free living, is that densification seems to make transportation easier but I have found it also made me feel more isolated from others. Alone in a sea of strangers.

In modern society a lot of those things have been lost by choice or circumstance and when something like this occurs a person can be left feeling quite alone, even in a city of people. I've been that way several times in my life because I am. by nature, rather self reliant and socially reserved but currently (because I have an amazing wife) now have a pretty good network of friends and we are constantly filling in the gaps for each other when they occur. One is now undergoing breast cancer treatment and there is a que for accompanying her to radiation appointments and providing meals for the family...

Not a solution for the current problem perse but another aspect to consider, especially if one is going carfree. It's a form of infrastructure we often overlook.

Ps. I must have missed it. How'd you break the hip Machka?