I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
First of all, I AM a senior, age 69. And I know of what I speak.
And I am more senior than you and have already had cataract surgery in both eyes. And my wife just had hip replacement surgery two weeks ago and has had to get to and from medical appointments as well as the hospital 75 miles away for the surgery.

Because you rely on a single anecdote and a statistical factoid from who knows where about an alleged increased danger to "us" from "old folks" driving, I will assume this "fact" is made up or it is something you read or heard somewhere.

Your proposed taxpayer funded solution to this alleged problem - presumably free door to door transportation for seniors to go where they want, when they want, doesn't sound like a way to cut back on society's use of motorized vehicles for personal transportation. It only would change who owns and pay for the vehicles, as well as requiring taxpayer payment to taxi drivers or government employees driving government vehicles to chauffeur seniors.

Somehow my wife and I mange our own transportation and are managing successfully without running down pedestrians or seeking transportation assistance from the government or a charity. And we figured out the transportation to and from the hospital all by ourselves even on a -20ºF day as well as another day with 10 inches of snow.

Our 19 year old Chevy Prizm with 200,000 miles started right up and handled the snow with aplomb. Note I have only put a little over 1500 miles on it in the 20 months I bought it mostly for taking my wife around town to appointments and local shopping. Even used it to take the cat to the vet too. If we needed taxi service due to disability or car problems I would have paid the cost. Living costs money, living with a disability costs money. I have no problem with society assisting those who need help, but am not for proposals establishing taxpayer funded transportation services to cheapskates who don't want to pay what they can afford for already available services, or to those who make conscious decisions that make their own living (and transportation) situation more difficult.