Old 06-20-17, 10:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,343 Posts
The most important thing to know about saddles is not to listen to anybody else.

The only arbiter of what you sit on is what you sit on it with. the theory of leather saddles is that they break in to a perfect fit, the same way shoes do. Unfortunately, like with shoes, some will NEVER be comfortable.

There are many nice covered plastic saddles, some covered in leather, some in man made material, and most are padded with foam of various densities. The key is that the rear area has to be wide enough to support you well. On average women will want a slightly wider saddle because they tend to be wider there.

Then it has to be narrow enough to clear your thighs, and if all is right, you'll sit in the middle where there's the most suspension.

All I can say, is try a variety of saddles on actual rides of at least 2 hours to get a sense of which will be right. In truth, you'll be able to reject many in minutes, so the long tests will only be for the few serious possibilities.

Many shops offer some sort of try before you buy deal on saddles, so this may be an example of the benefits of a good local shop.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.