View Single Post
Old 10-21-19, 03:47 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
I run equal pressure front and rear. Sometimes all weight is on front, sometimes all weight is on rear. On hard braking a bike develops g-forces and weight, or force, on front wheel is more than the total static weight of bike and rider. This is all included in the engineering assumptions incorporated in the Berto charts.

By seat of pants the pressures picked over the years were about 10 psi over Berto and pretty consistently 10psi over. Took a long time to believe chart and start adjusting down. Still always works. The fast guys around here (flat terrain, 27mph average speed for 60 mile group ride) are all on 28mm and all inflating to 60psi. They are full size riders. I'm not going that low but it works. And again, unless you spent money for a reference pressure gauge you don't know that precisely what your pressure is. Day to day your gauge is probably giving consistent information that means something and you can work with. But it is probably not same as my gauge.

Only bike that gets unequal pressure is the DL-1, which has 25/75 weight distribution. Maybe 20/80 when the saddlebag is heavy. Sticking to the chart would give silly numbers. The chart has no enforcement clauses and no penalties.