Thread: Donor Bike
View Single Post
Old 06-18-21, 06:12 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
We bought a bike back in 02 (?) Dude wanted $40 for the Steel Bianchi. I gave him 80 I had in my pocket as it was rideable. Coworker who inherited the bike from the person who owned their house before they bought it. It was really dirty but we fixed it up. Polished the hubs, new rims and spokes. DT shifter but the rear der was almost shot so we put a new 105 on it. The thing that was fully and functioning smoothly was the front der that was Exage (?).

She rode it for 5 years before going full carbon. Front der still working great even now 15 years later than she has had it. 2,000-3,000 per year back then. The bike is 1984 and still the Exage front der works great.

BTW, she knows nothing about the term Steel is Real but when we bought the full carbon bike, she had a hard time transitioning over saying the steel bike was a smoother ride than the full carbon Trek OCLV.

She's had other cyclists and even shop employees offer to buy it but she won't sell it.

That's awesome. I have three steel frames on me ATM. One is a vintage Shogun frame, a Trek 930 single track, and a diamond back Ascent (thought that frame might not be salvageable," it is I am going to blue and build it up. The 930 frame is going to be skeleton for a ghetto touring bike and the Shogun is a great candidate for a gravel bike. They may be a little heavier than an aluminum frame, however you can cold set them, weld on brackets, bosses, and mounts with relative ease.
Likes For grizzly907la: