Old 09-05-18, 05:20 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker

But I would not tempt fate and use the back streets. Nor would I ride at night. 99% of the people in those towns are wonderful people. It it the 1% you need to worry about.

The split you speak of is called look the loop as I recall. Staying on that side of the river the trail goes down to North Versailles It is rough but doable. You cross at the Boston Bridge. If you stay om the main street, it is a bit steep but there are a number of restaurants along the way, if you are in need of lunch.

Crossing the 15th Street bridge you . will have a nice steep hump to go over but other than that it is in good condition. I think they fixed it but the puddle at the very end of River Road might still be there. You can avoid it my passing the jersey barrier entrance to the trail a bit and slipping through the barrier.

The hump was black topped either last year or the year before, time's too blurry for me, but the nasty limestone slurry at the Boston side of the hump is gone but sometimes there are puddles where you speak of but I'd argue they're minor. You're right it is the loop and if I recall the 15th St. bridge is the official route but again I haven't stopped to look at the signage in years. I took the other route the first time I rode the trail and have never done it again as it sucked. I agree with not riding at night but would make that argument for any urban area in Pittsburgh. I also frequently commute from Edgewood past the West End Circle for work and am not sure what the city did but haven't really seen many homeless people along the city side of the trail the past couple of seasons. Also, not sure what your budget is but the Westin is right across the street from the Amtrak station and they may let you take your bikes to the room, or if you're really ballsy you can try to snooze it out on a park bench in the Point, I've done it a few times in my more bohemian days without issue but am not sure it would fly with the law nowadays... As for the route, I know I'm in the minority here but I still think crossing the Ft Pitt Bridge is much prettier in the morning than riding through town to the Smithfield St. Bridge and the Jail Trail side is just too freaking noisy at rush hour. Heck on really nice mornings I still find myself standing on the West End Bridge admiring the city view... This is from last Friday's commute...