Old 03-27-20, 03:49 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Some interesting thoughts. Regarding the stand along hubs, you probably do know that individual Record hubs (cup and cone, steel bearings) can still be purchased, but I would assume that only overing a 32 spoke option is severely limiting for most modern rims. So point taken.

And I actually felt the same what that you did at first, that Campagnolo was to be associated with "pompous pricks," but then my mind slowly started to change. First and foremost, because I so rarely actually came across someone riding their stuff! Second, because the anti-Campagnolo crowd seemed to be equally pompous and pricky, and third because I just grew to appreciate the nature of their company and products.

Campagnolo groupsets are definitely a different story to their wheels in terms of pricing, and that is why this post was specific to wheels. That said, I could see someone selecting them for their quality, their functionality, their ease/possibility of maintenance and repair, and even for their looks. Most of those points are debatable, but I think they are legit.
About the 32H hubs, you are correct. Shimano and campy are extremely hypocritical about this too. They’ll use 16/21 or 18/21 spokes on their complete wheelsets and then expect people to buy their 32H hubs? It just makes no sense.

I would never actually make a significant judgement about someone’s character based on their choice of groupset. It’s way too trivial of a matter. I also can probably count on one hand the number of campy groupsets I’ve seen and I’ve ridden with some very, very wealthy groups out here in CA. I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about campy (except for one guy whose EPS rear mech kept rubbing his Lightweight wheels’ spokes ). I just see no reason to deviate from the norm that is Shimano.