Old 08-03-20, 11:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Google the Ceramic Speed Friction Facts tests from a few years ago. It supports the claims for NFS. Seems to be the next best thing to wax and Rock 'n' Roll lubes (which appear to be mostly naphtha and PTFE powder).

I was curious about their recommendation to apply the lube very sparingly, to only six links per chain and let it spread itself while riding. So I started doing that with Park CL-1 (medium weight oil with PTFE), since I already had a full bottle and didn't figure I'd run out anytime soon. So far, so good. Sure beats the waste and mess of drizzling lube all over the chain, most of which ends up on paper towels and newspaper.

I've used it that way on my hybrid/errand bike for a few years, replacing the chain every couple of years (roughly 2,000 miles per year). Sure cuts down on the crud that accumulates on chains. I don't clean the chain often, just wipe it down a couple of times a year depending on conditions. Runs more quietly than my road bike chains with fancier lubes (don't want to get into details, I'm not sure it's worth the fuss and expense).