Old 11-15-17, 02:52 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
sweet! hey before you switch out those tires, have you checked out the 3 mile trail across the street from the depot? it's called the Narrow Gauge Trail. all dirt except for some soft sandy spots. gets pretty narrow toward the end. saw a full grown coyote last night when he ran in front of me. lots of rabbits too. I guess w the turkeys & rabbits there's good reason for the coyote's good health!
Yes, I've been on it a couple of times, but a while back, all on my 28mm endurance bike. The final narrow sandy bit you mentioned was a bit much for those tires but should be OK for something like 32-35mm (the new bike has 40mm). I like the Reformatory Branch better, too bad there are plans to pave it. Plenty of pickings for coyotes for wildlife, I startled a deer somewhere in Billerica last year.

This is going to be my gateway to slower, comfortable but non-MTB off-road riding. I've been compiling a list of places (mostly rail trails) I've been itching to explore more:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

*incompletely mapped on OpenStreetMaps, so I could be the first one to add them!