Old 05-02-18, 12:13 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiend606
I'm less concerned about the police and more concerned about getting hit and then having the fact I don't have the reflectors as a reason to blame it on me. I have spoke reflectors on now. I wear a reflective safety vest. I have a front and rear light. I have FLECTR reflectors on the way for my wheels, frame and helmet. The wording about the reflectors is a bit ambiguous, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Bicycle Safety and Pennsylvania Laws
In my state, it says that new bicycles and bicycle pedals can only be sold within the state as long as the pedals have reflectors. The law doesn't say anything about riding without reflectors on your pedals. But personally I think pedal reflectors are important because the up/down motion really shows up in a car's headlights and the driver should instantly know that it's a bicycle.

Of course, that's not to say that lights on a bike aren't important. I believe that reflectors should be used to supplement lighting for visibility.

But I did remove my spoke reflectors in exchange for spoke lights which are far brighter and more visible and noticeable than the reflectors alone would be.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 05-02-18 at 12:18 PM.