View Single Post
Old 01-02-19, 07:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
Nothing lasts forever, and to be honest, even a non-electric bike from ten years ago will, in most cases, be approaching the end of its design lifespan.
Originally Posted by jon c.
That's really not true. At least not with steel bikes. Mine is 37 years old and isn't approaching the end of anything. If I don't crash it, it will be still be going strong when I'm no longer strong enough to ride it.
Very useful and informative post ... right up until the last line.

I own two bikes that old, a 1983 Cannondale and a 1984 Raleigh. (As it happens I use an iPhone 4S and I have a couple ten-year-old computers that I use--one runs the TV, the other i use for gaming and back-up for my work computer ... which would be ten years old if it's predecessor had been that durable. This one is four years old. I own a 2004 Honda and a 2001 Toyota---both run very, very well and with minimal maintenance except oil changes and stuff like brakes.)

In any case ... any major piece of machinery expected to have a ten-year lifespan is not a piece of machinery I plan to buy. Three grand for an E-bike and then, when I am really old, deep into retirement, and need every penny ... it craps out?

The rest of the post was very informative and I thank you. That last line was very informative and I curse the people making such trash.