Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Free parking is a human right?
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Not the Onion.

"potentially grave implications"

"’Residents and building staff will lose available free parking, which will increase their expenses,’ the suit warns. Units at 25 Central Park West typically sell for between $1.2 and $10 million."

You can’t make this, er, stuff, up.

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
There are people who believe that free parking should not exist in most large or even medium cities. Concrete parking lots (except for new porous concrete) contribute to flooding and other undesirable issues. Like a "carbon" tax they believe there should be a parking tax.

Supposedly this would push a lot of people onto public transportation or car pooling. Who knows. I certainly don't feel like motorists have any right to free parking except on their own property and even then, their concrete driveways contribute to flood runoff for their neighbors as well.
That movement to restrict parking facilities in new construction is in vogue here in Boston. Boston has always been notorious for lack of parking.
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Ok, so, I'm back from Boston. Good news is, I'm still alive. Man, driving downtown is for sadistic people!! Who designed these roads???? ;-)…

And parking.... ohhh parking... Now, I get it, they don't want you to drive your car….I guess I'll have to go back and do what I want to do in that beautiful area, cause I definitely did not this time around.

If you read this far, and haven't figured it out yet, yes, this was a rant! :-/
We bought a condo in the early 1980’s in Kenmore Square and another one in the building years later. I have posted about our parking situation:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Boston is probably one of the most Car-free cities in the world, and having a car is often detrimental. We live near the transportation hub of Kenmore Square.

Our easily accessible Car-free / Car-light modalities at home and work are:…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… A new twist is that our adult son who lives in our building recently bought a car, mainly for his weekday job, So now with three drivers (not including the daughter) we share two cars, me the lowest priority since I don’t have one….

I mostly commute by bike (14 miles) and convenient commuter rail, and nearly always use the car only on weekends when the Commuter Rail schedule is reduced and family activities frequent.

We live in an area with tight parking restrictions. nearly entirely two-hour metered parking, except on Sundays and Holidays, from 8 AM to 6 PM; many residential-only spots with vigorous enforcement; and only one block in this high-density residental and commercial neighborhood with time-unlimited parking with a residential sticker.

We do own one deeded full-time unlimited parking space, that our son sometime uses...
The Red Sox baseball Fenway Park is also in the neighborhood, and traffic is atrocious on Game Days. Nearby parking lots charge about $45, and the subway lines are always jammed up until starting time, and after the game.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-27-19 at 06:58 AM.