View Single Post
Old 07-22-12, 08:08 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
There's not too much to say about clothing and equipment, except that one shouldn't use new stuff. Don't tinker with the set-up you are used to, and shorts, shoes, saddle should all have been used enough times for you to know they won't cause you any problems after several hours on the bike. If you're in any doubt about your contact points lasting the course, chamois cream might be a good idea. I don't use it much myself, but some people seem to find it essential.

Good quality cycling shorts are a good investment.

Your comments about your back and arms being tired, together with your reported mileage, suggest to me that your fatigue is as much a question of fitness as nutrition. You probably simply aren't used to being on the bike for such extended periods and therefore lack endurance. You might find it beneficial to do some core exercises, too, it helps you to avoid slumping into a poor posture.

Having said that, one banana every thirty miles is not sufficient, you should be eating more than twice that number of calories. Bananas are great, but you should be thinking about maybe 250kcal per hour. A banana is about 100-120.
+1 to the above.

What you wear on top is important, too. Again, wear something you're comfortable with, but not too tight to restrict breathing. If it's too tight the top can also
restrict your movement, which can make you sore after a long ride. For a Century ride I usually wear a comfortable jersey 'cause I like the pockets.

Nutrition wise? EAT. DRINK. Regularly!

You should be emptying a standard bottle every 15-20 minutes on a hot day. If you can only carry two large bottles and those aren't enough, try a Camelbak.
You can carry enough water to drink, it will help keep you cool, and you can also carry a bottle to spray your face and head to keep cool.

Eat as much as you can comfortably stand. Two bananas and a couple of energy bars between rest stops should be a minimum, but don't eat anything too heavy.
You'll have to experiment with this on your training rides; some riders can eat like 70's racers... fruit, pastries, a sandwich. Others would seize up tight eating a meal
like that!

It's all a matter of keeping your body and mind comfortable and fresh... from Mile .01 to Mile 100.35!