Old 05-19-19, 08:53 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I actually encountered something similar on my old 150 scooter. One of them acted like they were gonna knock me off, I turned around and made them think I was gonna run them down. Never happened on a bicycle, I think it's because I'm usually moving fast.
Speed is your friend in sketchy neighborhoods. It takes time to formulate an ambush. Not much, but you want to be gone before they can act on their impulse.

Originally Posted by mjac
Thought you might be a little partial to them after you said they were designed for low cadence and are OK for midrange and climbing. Like I said everyone puts them down. One guy mentioned Sakae Ovaltech was better. Then you have Osymetric, Absolute Black and Rotor in the $160 range. I got Biopace $18.99.
I used Biopace on my smallest chainring and really liked it. My 1988 Cannondale ST1000 came with Biopace on all three rings. I got rid of the larger two rings and went round. I really think the Biopace helped on long, steep climbs with the loaded-down touring bike. Same reason compound bows use elliptical shaped pulleys. There is a slight benefit at one point in the rotation where the force of pulling the bowstring is greatly reduced by that shape - two points of benefit on a bike crank of course. Just my take.