View Single Post
Old 07-29-19, 05:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
I'm happy to donate and have done fairly regularly for what is an amazing resource and facility for publishing to a wide audience.

Paywall? No.
Yes I too have donated regularly when I was using the site more. I have not donated in a number of years, but have given a few hundred dollars over the years and would donate again if I were to start another journal or read regularly again. Given that everyone donated the current content under the current model, I'd see a paywall now as a betrayal of good faith in his use of the content that was posted to the site. I am not sure how I'd feel about that. I might consider asking that my content be removed if he were to do that (I don't know if he'd be obligated to or not). I'd have to do some soul searching.

His current model is the owner operator's choice and he has made his preference crystal clear. I think he feels pretty strongly about it.

I think the forums could be a bigger success, but I find it pretty easy to run afoul of Neil's good graces there to the extent that I don't really feel like I can use them comfortably without risking eventual banning. To be fair that could say as much about me as it does Neil. I don't think they are a good candidate for a paywall in any case since there is a lot of competition elsewhere (like here) that is also free.

I have no idea how he feels about merchandising, but think he could make a few bucks on shirts, jerseys, water bottles, stickers, and so on with little to no risk. People would enjoy having that stuff on their tours and at home and it would raise more awareness of his site.
Likes For staehpj1: