View Single Post
Old 08-08-19, 04:10 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
However, it is very clear that the current system is not working. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result, no?

I'm banned from there and my most recent donation was rejected. Prior to my banning I was a donor.
He does seem to spend a lot of time asking for donations on that site. I'm just curious about how you managed to get banned? He does seem a little prickly on there. I remember making a suggestion in the forums some years ago about how he might better fund the site (I honestly can't remember what I said now, but I definitely used very moderate terms and I suggested a model I'd seen used elsewhere), and he seemed to get quite offended by it. That said, being offended seems to be a rite of passage on the Internet these days.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I think the forums could be a bigger success, but I find it pretty easy to run afoul of Neil's good graces there to the extent that I don't really feel like I can use them comfortably without risking eventual banning. To be fair that could say as much about me as it does Neil. I don't think they are a good candidate for a paywall in any case since there is a lot of competition elsewhere (like here) that is also free.
For me the forums there (much like the forums here) are primarily for entertainment. I've asked specific questions there before and received almost no answers at all, but if I post something that might offend someone, I'll get more replies than I have time to read in an average day. Generally if I want information now, I'll just go and do my own research with the help of some search engines.

You also make a good point about how easy it seems to be to upset Neil (even when it's not your intention). It was one of the reasons I stopped journalling there and using the site generally (except for maybe some entertainment when I have little else to do).

Originally Posted by robyr
The owner/operator would need to drastically reduce his political rants for me to ever pay for such a resource, as good as it is. It's a shame, too, because if he would have gone into the background a bit he would have definitely attracted a more diverse and active crowd, even more so than his current userbase. The incessant begging is also a big turn off, and a big reason I would not document my trips there. It is too much of a risk that my works could be removed or lost to the whims of an unstable person who took umbrage to my views outside of his own website or simply cannot fund it on charity alone.
I think you're onto something there too. I have no problem with his political views, but a site dedicated to bike touring isn't the place for it. I know for a fact that he's had arguments with other users in the past because they posted political views he didn't like.

Perhaps he could set up a separate political forum with banner ads as a way to help pay for the crazyguy site.

Ultimately though, it's Neil's site, and he can do with it as he pleases,

That is all.