View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 10:33 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My understanding is that demand for stainless spokes has gone up and for galvanized has gone down. And it seems that the price difference has almost gone away, so there's not much reason to prefer galvanized any more. Are they still available cheap? I used DT galvanized in 1983 to build wheels for my commuter bike. That's before the company was called DT Swiss. They were the best galvanized spokes around at the time. I suspect they don't make them anymore.
cheap? oh yeah they are, but harder to find. i found one lot of 85 for less than $20 w/shipping

yeah, i know.....stainless is much more popular. with good reason, of course. but, i wouldn't say the price difference has gone away. not with what i've seen thus far. and, it's not like i would prefer galv, but then $20 is hard to beat when you're on the cheap