View Single Post
Old 01-07-13, 08:48 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
When I replaced the riser bars of my old Crossroads with trekking bars, I found that I was reaching even further forward than with the old bars, but it was strangely STILL more comfortable than the old bars, mostly because of the different hand position I use on the trekking bars, which caused a different elbow position and different shoulder position, which took the stress off my neck as well as my wrists, compared to the original riser bars.

One advantage I feel the trekking bar has over bar-end/grips is that there are so very many grip positions. When my hands are on the sides, it's pretty much the equivalent of "riding the hoods" of a drop bar, and then there is the ability to lay your palms flat across the elbow formed by the near bar and side. Then there is the far bar for riding into heavy headwinds, and my favorite; the ersatz aero bar formed by gripping the inner elbow of the bars (if they are installed "riser" style) so that your forearms are gently resting against the near bars. This lets me ride in a comfortable aero position with elbows tucked close in. It's great for putting some speed into your pedaling or grinding into a moderate headwind...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Innerelbow.jpg (99.8 KB, 89 views)