Old 02-19-19, 07:21 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
In case you haven't been following it . . . Trek's 2019 Checkpoint was advertised as having clearance for 45mm tires. Then . . . quietly . . . the website reduced the spec to 38mm . . . to 35mm . . . back to 38mm . . . then to 40mm IF you use a Bontrager spec tire. The 2020 Checkpoint is exactly the same. All of this without any notice to existing owners. (Without measuring, it appears that the front derailleur may interfere with 45mm wide tires when the axle is adjusted on the forward end of its travel.) The only indication of any problem came for those of us who checked the website. NOW THERE'S BEEN ANOTHER CHANGE AT TREKBIKES.COM!

I just checked to see if there had been yet another tire clearance change for the Checkpoint on the Trekbikes.com website. And I found that . . . THE CHECKPOINT HAS BEEN TAKEN OFF THE SITE. When you do a search for gravel bikes, you get Crocket and Boone. No Checkpoints! When using the regular BIKES tab and GRAVEL or CHECKPOINT, nothing comes up for the Checkpoint. The CHECKPOINT tab is dead.

Sadly, the plot thickens. And no communication to existing owners.
Erm. Why dont you measure your frame, instead of relying on Trek to tell you how much space is in there? I'm a bit confused.