View Single Post
Old 11-05-15, 09:43 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a light weight camping guy myself, too, and have a bikepacking type set up on my cross bike that I've used for overnight type trips. Tent, bag, and pad weigh under 5 lbs and fit in a bag between my drop bars. Frame bag contains bits and pieces, and large seat bag contains clothes and cooking stuff if I bother. This means I'm not really packing much food, other than clif bars and water and maybe one backpacking type meal (or Indian "add water" type thing). I buy fruits and such along the way to the destination and eat whenever.

Clearly this his wouldn't work for remote areas where food isn't restock able at least once a day. But for my last trip my bike weighed 38 lbs. as I hit the road and that was probably about 22 lbs. of bike and 16 lbs. of bags and their contents.

My carbon road bike is a good five pounds lighter than my steel cross bike and yet I'm sure I could tour on it in just the same way with the same bags.