View Single Post
Old 05-18-19, 08:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Most of the multitools I’ve tried are poorly designed. They don’t fit my hand...which is just average in size...nor are they comfortable to use. I’ve found 3 multitools that work fairly well and are actually well designed in that they fit my hand and “feel” right. The first is the very old Gerber Cool Tool. I have several including a few in original packages and one Bob Seals original. Sadly, I don’t have a titanium version.

Another is the Full Windsor Breaker. It’s big enough to get some torque, small enough to feel comfortable in the hand and has enough places to put the tool bits so that you can actually use it in close quarters on the bike.

The one I currently carry is the Fix-It-Stick system. I have the “Mountain bike” versions with the addition of the 15mm open end wrench. Several of my bikes have Paul brakes which need the 15mm to adjust the spring tension. The Fix-It-Sticks feel even more like a regular tool. The tire levers work really well too.

I do carry some other tools like spoke wrenches that you’ll find on multitools that don’t work all that well. I’d rather carry a tool that works well than struggle with something that work poorly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!