Old 08-13-19, 11:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by The Big Wheel
Does anyone here own a plastic or glass shield that they use in winter to block the cold air from hitting your face? Sometimes while riding in winter I feel like the cold air is burning my throat and I have to slow down. If so, where did you buy it or how did you make it? Please post photos. Thanks!
"Does anyone here own a plastic or glass shield that they use in winter to block the cold air from hitting your face?"

Look into the Zzipper fairing. Fits on your bike, not your face. Deflects air over your head anytime you are going fast enough to matter. You get to look over the fairing, not through it so it doesn't matter how wet it is. It has other advantages also. It breaks the wind and acts like a rider ahead of you, ie making our ride as easy as if you were drafting somebody. Makes long commutes significantly faster or easier, especially in headwinds. It also is a full layer of clothing warmer. Hands stay much warmer. ( https://www.zzipper.com/index.php go to Products, then Upright Products.)

I rode the Zzipper through Massachusetts and Michigan winters and wet Seattle winter (riding 15 miles frequently into storm winds from the south). (I also rode down Juaquim Miller Road into Oakland from Skyline in s a winter storm. Dried my glasses before I started down and rolled into Oakland with them still dry, seeing the road from above the fairing the whole time.

Those fairings look dorky but they really work.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: