View Single Post
Old 05-05-21, 05:46 AM
Cyclingpotter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Today I experienced a shimmy that I couldn't control. I went for a ride today and twenty minutes in I was descending a hill at 56 km and then in no time I am skidding along the pavement. The shimmy turned into a full out wobble that I just couldn't get under control.

Two weeks ago I experienced shimmy at 82 km an hour and I was able to slow the bike down and control it. I had a smaller one a few days ago at about 70 km/h. Today's was much slower but I had hit some rough pavement that may have contributed to the wobble.

Did I help contribute to this mishap, you bet I did. I didn't grab the top tube between my legs, I didn't raise my weight above the saddle or loosen my grip on the bars. These are all solutions but they are counter-intuitive when it is happening. I was hanging on for dear life, just trying to slow the bike down. I think I need to start training for this to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have done a lot of reading on speed wobble and one thing is clear, there is no definitive answer. Different solutions work for different people and the solutions are not universal. My biggest obstacle will be fear. The fear to go downhill fast again.

This is just a narrative of what happened. I was one of the unlucky ones that couldn't control today's shimmy.

The bike was the Trek Domane SL6 that is one year old exactly today.
I have just bought the Trek Domane SL7 and have now had two cases of speed wobble in the first 8 weeks. Both around 50kph, both with cross winds but both controllable by reducing speed and both terrifying. I have been cycling for years and am used to descending at higher speeds than this. I have changed my seat position and height to take more wight off my bars and have changed my bar grip (both times happened when on my hoods). After the second time I have been reading a lot and have learnt about squeezing the top tube with my knees etc but am not looking forward to my next down hill with a cross wind. It almost makes me want to go back to my Cannondale SuperSix Evo - which was a lot twitchier but ever subjected me to a speed wobble.