Old 01-19-16, 10:57 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
That was my problem, I had been riding on that street for a little while without problem. I did not expect ice.

However, at the exact point I needed to start getting over, a storm drain or something completely blocked the shoulder so I started pulling over without thinking much. Ootherwise I would have stopped and waited for a better crossing. It was my first time going that way, construction blocked my usual path to work, so I was unfamiliar with the road there.

How are the Nokians when there isn't ice? They are awful expensive and it seems like riding them on what would be 99.999% asphalt and concrete would wear them out rapidly.
I always expect ice if conditions make it possible. Keep the bike straight up all the time, even on pavement. Scan the ground and be ready to slip at all times. They are heavy and slow. I don't ride mine a lot on the pavement. But I have taken them on a few 20-30 mile rides on dry pavement. They are over ten years old. I would expect only a coupe of years, if you use them to commute. They have cylindrical studs with a flat across the top of the stud. This design grabs the ice and last a long time.
The studs never get shorter,the end gets rounded, and the tire casing behind the studs lets them sink in a little over time. I have taken out many studs and measured them with a caliper.
The Schwalbe Ice Spike pro has pointed studs, the point wears away quickly. I 'll probably wear them out this year and go back to the old Nokians.