Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
acidfast opined:
heavy, slow, and make flat repair a pain. in europe where people use their bikes for brief trips an IGH might make sense. in the usa many of us actually use our bikes for longer distance transportation, not just quick jaunts.
Agreed. I prefer standard gears, even in the winter (wd40 does the job).

i prefer to remove fenders when they are not necessary (e.g. ~6 months out of the year).
I couldn't imagine not having the sturdy old metal fenders (that are a bother to take off). There is always some puddle of "water" somewhere.

my heavy piece of crap shopping bike has an integrated rack. my commuters are designed for speed and climbing, not putzing along for a mile or two.
I usually carry a lot of stuff on my bike, in work clothes, so speed is not something I aim for.

how hard is it to roll up your pants or buy a clip/strap?
I almost always doo that, however, some protection from chain is always practical for me. Some pants flap sometimes in spite of a strap and when I ride road bike that's one more thing to watch out for... unlike the dedicated commuter.

$100 buys a 60 lumen tail light and a 420 lumen head light than can be moved from bike to bike.
Carrying lights is a bother. Worrying about batteries etc. I use that system, but would not mind dynamo hub and lights bolted to the bike. Sounds more practical to me.

what stuff? seriously i have never been "caught" in the drops on my road bike.

unless you are popping curbs this is, imo, useless extra weight.

what straps? sandals? panniers?

pathetic stopping power. imo, drum brakes are a terrible decision.
Drum brakes are good on motorcycle, not sure how they work on bicycle. Maintenance free, the least troubled by mud/rain/snow. I like drum brakes.

i guess when the average european bike trip is only 1-2 miles you don't care much about damage or theft because you can always walk.
Irony, yees?

commuting 10 miles on asphalt requires an expedition bike? hmmm...

pdx has about the same mode share as frankfurt. i wonder why i hardly ever see someone on the 50 lb hunks of steel you favor.
Each to their own. This is what most people that commute year round ride in my country (the flat part of it):