Old 03-17-16, 09:35 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
OK. I gotta step up my hiking game. Living in Atlanta, I have lots of options within a short drive. I'd like to get started before it gets too hot.

Any good resources for beginners?
@Jared laid it out pretty good.

I don't know what Payless is like in the US, but up here it's utter crap for mens shoes, so I can't really speak to that recommendation. To start, I would get a decent pair of trail runners, nothing expensive. I used to hike in an old pair of steel toes for a long time because it's what I had, and they work quite well. They will certainly give you a workout. Just be aware of the extra weight on your feet if you go this route. You will have to start slowly, because the heavier th boots get, the more it affects your gait, and doing so for prolonged periods really soon can lead to problems. Trail runners are lighter, have decent grip, do come in waterproof options if you need, and also come with an underfoot shank that will help to keep your feet from getting bruised as well as offer some support. I typically do most of my dayhikes in trailrunners unless I know the terrain is going to be really gnarly, muddy, or the weather will be crap. Just be mindful that your feet get you where you want to go, and you are relying on them to get you back out again. And I couldn't agree more on buying really good wool socks.

Backpacks are backpacks when you're starting out. If you intend to keep the pack for some time, it might be wise to invest in quality. You don't need size when you're starting out, but you also don't want it to fail while you are out there. It only needs to be large enough to carry what you need that day, with maybe a little extra room to grow as your abilities grow. Any bigger and it becomes cumbersome. Keep in mind if you will be hiking with a Significant Other or kids. You will probably be carrying their stuff too, although little kids like to have their own pack too, good to put their snacks in there too, but keep it light. My daypack was/is the bag I had all through highschool, college, college again... my trusty old Jansport (before they became a fashion accessory). It holds 2 full 3" binders, and 2-3 textbooks. Has a small webbing waist strap. I usually end up cinching it in a bit. It's about 20L or 1200 cu". A small waist strap is nice. Goes a long way if you need the extra stability, but is unnoticed when not used.

I would add to the equipment/first aid requirements. The standard kit in my opinion that should be in any pack is
- knife/multitool
- water ( I also keep some purifying tablets in the first aid kit. Good in the summer in case you run your supply of water down)
- snacks/food (1.5x what you think you will need)
- cheap poncho from the dollar store. This can save you from being miserable and takes almost no space in your pack.
- a fleece sweater/hoodie, and a beanie/toque. They're light, fill out your pack (helps to stabilize things in there), paired with poncho it will keep you warm and dry should something go wrong.
- change of socks if it tends to get cold in your area.
- basic first aid kit (and the knowledge to use it). Make sure it includes a foil blanket.

If I'm going to be out all day, I also pack a parachute hammock. Great to be able to string it up and have a seat for two, or to put your legs up. Good for 400lbs and pack to the size of a cantaloupe.