Old 08-28-19, 11:15 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
The dating thing is interesting, to me. Though hardly matters. Great deal on both of these bikes.
I'd be curious to hear how the OP dated these bikes too. Though not disputing his claim, at all.
Told so by the seller? Other clues?
Some of the parts on the bikes are an interesting mix. Weinmann brakes on both bikes. Neither came standard that wayif I remember correctly.
Cinelli 1A stem and Cinelli bars on the Le Champion. Also not standard. Is there a patent number stamped on the underside of that stem, Pcampeau?
Pat. date on the rear derailleur?
Also, the dates on the inside of the hub lock nuts would be interesting to know, if it has any.
My 1976 Grand Touring was purchased new by my father, and has a few items that don't match that year's catalog such as Dia-Compe levers and Gran-Compe side-pull brakes rather than Weinmann center pulls. The catalog may have also indicated a different crankset other than the SR Apex crankset on the bike, but I don't know that one for sure. They weren't replaced after purchase, but came that way. I would think they were just trying to keep up with production during those heady years...