Old 01-02-20, 12:23 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Comparing ride data - any high-mileage riders to compare?

I am looking over my ride data from 2019 and am setting a mileage goal for 2020. I know there are people that ride in the 7,000+ mile range in a year out there and I am curious how that is possible.

My average speed came out to 7.012mph for the year. This speed is factored off the trip time on my computer vs total miles. The trip time is somewhat of a bogus number because that largely includes stopped time, yet on some rides I did pause it (for example - fixing a flat I paused the trip timer through that period). So the 7.012mph is not a moving average, it is a time vs distance average across the year.

Using that speed average and saying that an average day's ride is in the 8 hour ballpark, for hitting 7,000 miles for the year that would require a bit over 123 days riding - with a mileage average around 56-57 miles per ride.

How is that humanly possible?

Therein lies my question. Those of you that are riding way up there in miles - what do your numbers show? How are you able to dedicate the time to your riding to achieve those numbers?