View Single Post
Old 07-27-20, 12:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I rode a stretch of Cycle Oregon's Weekend one year where hundreds of us rode past such a field as the bees were flying home low fully burdened. Amazingly few hits and I heard of no stings. I saw many artful dodges by those heavy critters! Got impressed that they had but one agenda, get that precious cargo home safely. We were just an unexpected hazard.

Those bees that land on your glasses? What an artful job of not getting a fatal body slam, enabling that bee to live and work profitably. She was probably just as surprised as you to find herself eye to eye with this human!

I had a bee in my glasses once, hovering. I forget if I was cycling or in my yard. I am completely unafraid of bees and it seems little I do excites them. We stared for a moment,then she just left. I'm guessing she had better things to do. (My wife was terrified of bees and they got VERY excited around her. I was often afraid I might be sting just as collateral damage.)

I love bees, both honey and bumblebees. As kid. I used to pet the bumblebees when they were deep in a flower. They didn't really like it and sometimes they'd fly away, but they never stung or came at me. I wouldn't try that with a honey bee (and they are not very fuzzy). but I have had business being where they were working and gently waving my hand to clear the area, sometimes bumping a flying bee. Never an issue. (So this big, clumsy animal wants to be here. Guess I need to go over that plant.)

Ben