shelleyspins
runs with scissors

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Helium, '07 Cervelo Soloist Team Ed, 1993 Klein Stage Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j0m0
Also, what accessories are a must for a beginning cyclist? Will I be ok in sneakers/athletic shorts/tight tshirt, or do I absolutely need biking shorts, etc.? I have a trail right behind my house so I can depart/return to my back door.
I just got a 'real' bike too after spending the past year on a spin bike. I bought a gently used bike that came accessorized and here's what I've found: the Cateye computer (not sure what model but it has readouts for avg speed, cadence, distance, time, and a few more) is nice I guess but I think that money would be better spent on a heart rate monitor or (if you've already got one) the gps and/or cycle accessories for your HR monitor. Out of all the accessories that came with the bike I've by far used the water cage/bottle the most. The small saddle bag is nice too - low profile, comes with tire repair items which I have not had to use (knock on wood) but will someday appreciate - for now I appreciate the fact that it is big enough to stash my keys, a little cash, and arm warmers.

Decent shorts and shoes are worth the money imho - and you might even try them out on your stationary bike when the weather forces you back indoors. Another opinion on shorts - like all things there are several price tiers for bike shorts. The cheap ones are cheap for a reason, buy shorts in the highest price tier you can afford.

Happy riding!