View Single Post
Old 09-29-19, 06:28 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
Been thinking overnight about this. Assuming my time for “the” frame is a ways off, a good bridge solution may be to get the fit figured out by replicating position of other similarly built higher level racers, as you recommended, sell a set of wheels and get a larger-size low-cost aluminum frame under $600...just so I can at least get more stretched out since I’m so crunched up currently. I can get close as possible to the fit needed with stems, bars and saddle positions and get by for a while. Had I chosen a 61 cm Felt TK3 to begin with instead of a 58, that’s where I’d be now. So I can re-start with that change up to a larger frame, and then continue saving for a long-term keeper which is more specific to me. Sound reasonable?

If so, comparing the Felt TK 2/3 frame to the Bianchi Super Pista, and other aluminum options which have sizes of 60cm and above, what are your thoughts on best options and why?
Look at reach numbers rather than bare frame "sizes". The reach number will tell you if you are actually getting a longer bike or not. There's stacks of "big" sized frames out there that aren't actually all that big. I went custom Duratec for myself after working my way to something close to what I need. Apparently it's the biggest non-tandem frame they'd ever made Looking at the figures for my bike though (470mm reach), it's only a big larger than a 62cm Dixie Flyer (465 reach). I was looking at a Dixie, but it was taking a long time to happen and I ended up with my custom alloy instead

The Felt 58cm has a reach of 421mm and the 61cm Bianchi works out to be pretty much the same so you won't gain anything there. The big Felt takes you out to 438mm and there's a few frames around that size IIRC like the Fuji mentioned above. Then there are a very small few frames that reach up towards the 460mm mark

Last edited by brawlo; 09-29-19 at 06:40 PM.
Likes For brawlo: