Old 01-16-21, 10:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I purchased a Lemond Victorie in 2000. It was a factory replacement from Trek for a Klein that had a frame part failure (Klein was out of business, purchased by Trek).

I found the frame very flex in the bottom bracket, would get F derailer rub when I stood on the pedals. I resorted to a Campy derailer and shifter as they allow greater trim points.

Then the original paint started flaking off within the first year. Trek took the frame back and repainted. That paint started flacking off within a few months and Trek refused to re-paint, so I had it painted locally.

Then a crack developed on the downtube near the shift cable stop. Trek refused to deal with it as I had the frame painted locally, which voids their warranty.

I threw the frame in the garbage about 2 years ago.

I would love to own another Titanium, am shy about the risk for a flexy frame, but love the look of a polished frame. Would never get a painted frame, I’m told only Serotta did a decent job with paint on Ti., Trek obviously had no clue.
I bought a used Seven in 2012. It's quite stiff, similar to a CAAD 5 I used to have. It's a great bike except for the bone jarring ride on bad roads. It's partially painted and it hasn't flaked but it will chip if I bang it into something. It's hard to get paint to stick to titanium, I hear.
Likes For big john: